The Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Awareness Week is a Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement initiative to bring attention to the importance of teaching children core competencies and skills, beyond academics, that can help them thrive physically, mentally and emotionally. Social and Emotional Learning is a proactive and preventative mental health initiative that has been proven to reduce anxiety, addiction and behavioral issues while increasing student performance, physical and emotional well-being.
Share in SEL Awareness Week by bringing the message of Choosing Love into your classroom.
FREE SEL Classroom Activity Kit
Bring these simple and fun ways to Choose Love into your classroom.
- Pledge sheet – Have your entire class take the pledge to Choose Love and display it in your classroom.
- 16 Ways to Choose Love – Learn the Choose Love Formula and simple ways to choose love every day.
- Heart Art – Have your students complete the art by writing and drawing how they can Choose Love and display these in your class or school.
- Caught Choosing Love Certificates – Reinforce how your students are Choosing Love by handing out these fun certificates when you catch them in the act!
- Bookmarks – Print and laminate these bookmarks to give to your students to remind them to Choose Love.
(If you have any trouble downloading the activity kit, please email: email@example.com.)
Celebrate SEL Awareness Week through Video and Artwork
What does the message of Choosing Love mean to you, your students or your family?
How do you and your students practice and demonstrate Social and Emotional Learning in your classroom and in your lives?
Show us through video in your own way, how SEL has affected your classroom environment or made an impact on a student.
Let your students show how they Choose Love through art whether it’s drawings, painting, crafts or photography. Display artwork in your classroom or at your school and don’t forget to share them with us!
- You and/or your students can share your story through a short video and/or artwork as a school or individual classroom project.
- Keep it simple or be creative! Sing, dance, recite a poem or simply tell us how Choosing Love has inspired your students or speak on how SEL has made an impact on your class.
- Please keep your videos under 4 minutes.
- Indicate that you have received proper parental permission for this to be shared on our website, social media, on local and national television and our Facebook Live event.
Deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Extended Deadline: Friday, February 17, 2017
Videos and artwork may be included during our Facebook Live event and at a celebration event at Quinnipiac University in April, 2017.
How to Submit Your Videos and Artwork
Send artwork to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send us a link to your video on YouTube.
- Send us a the actual video file, no larger than 2GB, to using WeTransfer or comparable file transfer service.
Send your video link or file and/or artwork:
Watch a Message from Scarlett Lewis and hear how she Chooses Love!
Class Video on Choosing Love
Watch More Videos on our YouTube Channel
Share on Social Media
You can also share your work on our social media pages:
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) teaches children how to manage their emotions, have healthy relationships and to care for themselves and one another. The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement promotes SEL as it is the most powerful and proactive mental health initiative there is that also reduces bullying, and other behavioral issues while increasing academic performance and physical, mental and emotional health and well-being.
2016 Social and Emotional Learning Awareness Week
In 2016 students from schools all over Connecticut created beautiful and powerful ‘Choose Love’ murals that were presented at an event hosted by US Senator Blumenthal at Quinnipiac University. These later were formally shown as an exhibit in the U.S. Senate Rotunda in Washington D.C.