Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation is shining their light on the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement. Here is an excerpt from their Born Brave Blog:
For the month of January, Born This Way Foundation will shine light on an organization that gives us hope that we can choose love, even during the darkest days. The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement was established in honor of Jesse Lewis, who was one of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The foundation was established to develop school-based educational programs to change our current culture of violence to one of safety, peace and love for everyone in our world. Scarlett Lewis shares her story with us.
Sometimes we go through things in life and we feel like we have no control. And it’s true, things happen that are totally out of our control. But we always have control over one thing – how we respond in any given situation. Take the murder of my 6-year-old son. He was killed in his first grade classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary, alongside 19 of his classmates and 6 educators. I couldn’t control the former student who killed all those innocent people, but I did control how I responded to the tragedy. Ultimately, I responded by starting a worldwide movement to choose love through a nonprofit organization I created in honor of my son – the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement. It was a process in how I got there.
Read the Full Blog Post on the Born Brave Blog
A Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement Initiative
Connecticut’s Social and Emotional Learning Awareness Week
February 7-14, 2017
We invite you to celebrate and promote Social and Emotional Learning by creating a video that shows how you Choose Love.
Click to download PDF
What does the Formula for Choosing Love or the power of the message of Choosing Love mean to you and your students? How do your students practice and demonstrate Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) in their classrooms and in their lives? Tell us your story through videos and/or artwork. This can be done as a school or individual classroom project.
Last year students from schools all over Connecticut created beautiful and powerful ‘Choose Love’ murals that were presented at an event hosted by US Senator Blumenthal at Quinnipiac University. These later were formally shown in an installation in our Nation’s Capitol in Washington D.C.
This year we would like to post videos and artwork from across the country on our social media pages. These might also be shared on local news and national television so please indicate that you have received proper parental permission.
We can’t wait to see what you and your students come up with! We want to share all of the wonderful things you are doing to spread the message of Choosing Love!
Thanks for Choosing Love!
Governor Dannel Malloy has issued a proclamation for Connecticut’s Social and Emotional Awareness Week, February 7 – 14, 2017.
Feel Good About Shopping When You Use Giving Assistant
Earn Double Cash Back Donations During Giving Week
Giving Assistant will DOUBLE every donation made to the Choose Love Movement during Giving Week.
Giving Week is November 23rd (the day before Thanksgiving) through November 29th (Giving Tuesday).
During this time, you’ll earn the highest cash back rates of the year, and Giving Assistant will match every cash back donation.
Signing Up is Easy!
1. Go to givingassistant.org
2. Enroll with your Facebook account or email.
3. Click “Get Button” so you’ll know when your purchases are giving back.
4. Search for your favorite store, click the Shop Now button and go shopping and give back with the highest cash back rates of the year!
The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement has been named a “2016 Top-Rated Nonprofit” by GreatNonprofits, the leading provider of user reviews of charities and nonprofits.
“We are honored to be named a 2016 Top-Rated Nonprofit,” said Scarlett Lewis, Founder of the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement. “We are proud of all our accomplishments this year especially the launch of the Choose Love Enrichment Pilot Program in almost 100 classrooms across the country in Arkansas, Connecticut, New Mexico and Hawaii,”
Lewis continued, “We believe every child is entitled to access to this life changing and even life-saving education therefore we encourage all educators to access the Enrichment Program through our website now although the official launch will be next year.”
The program is unique in that it teaches children that they have to power to choose love in any situation using the character values of courage, gratitude, forgiveness and compassion in action. Students learn to acknowledge their feelings with acceptance and non-judgment and explore ways to change an angry thought into a loving one.
The Top-Rated Nonprofit Award is the based on the 5-Star rating and reviews that The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement received from volunteers, donors and aid recipients including:
- The work of the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation is essential especially now as students seek the skills to stand for compassion and understanding rather than hostility and blame.
- Something that is so absent in the school systems, yet such a huge part of social learning, how to choose a loving thought over a negative thought, or a hateful thought. It is so simple and yet so powerful. You can change your day, your week, your life, by just choosing loving thoughts.
- The message of the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation is so simple, and that’s what makes it so powerful. Jesse and Scarlett and JT Lewis each have their own powerful story of courage that resonates so deeply and touches your heart and makes you want to make yourself and your community and your world a better place.
- As an education professional who has been working with children for 20 years I can say with much confidence that the Choose Love program is much needed. The simple message it teaches has a huge ripple effect around the world. We want children to grow up to be the best they can be, both inside and outside.